This is an Opinionated Blog
The opinions expressed here are those of the author. They are subject to change without notice.
Yesterday from 3pm to 7pm we went to the Elizabethtown Second Saturday street fair.
As it is early in the season, there weren’t a whole lot of people around, but we were set up in front of the Heartland Whole life Buying Club which helped us alot. I talked to some knitters about my yarn and enjoyed being outside and with the Hubster.
I sold the beautiful snood, which paid for our lunch.
I’ll have more yarn to sell next month.
I held my annual cookie bake last week. I love to bake, but I don’t always want to eat the stuff I bake. So I invite over some girlfriends to bake a ton of cookies, and I give the cookies away.
This year, things were a little rocky around the edges, for one thing, I’ve been battling an abcessed tooth since the first of December. So my energy levels are pretty low. So this wasn’t as big of cookie swap party as I’d originally planned.
But a funny thing happened that day…one of my projects ‘grew legs’ and vanished from the house. It was a crocheted hat, made from chestnut and white llama yarn. Not a major project, but it was made for a specific person, who is sensitive to wool.
I know I have gremlins…one in particular has lived with me for a very long time. He takes my car keys and various items, but he’s always given them back when I ask.
I try to leave bits of food out for him, but he’s got to get them before the dogs do. The Irish leave saucers of milk out for the leprecauns, to keep the mischief to a minimum. I’ve heard that it works with ghosts, too, if anyone has problems with ghosts, try leaving them a bit of coffee or something.
But I digress.
I’ve searched my entire house. I’ve searched the baskets where I stash all my finished and unfinished projects. We even looked as we cleaned the house, to see if the dogs had taken off with the hat. There’s no sign of it, though I found the extra yarn I spun on the drop spindle, right where I’d last seen the hat.
Fast forward two months – that’s right, it took me two months to find the missing project. However I’ve found it and I KNOW the gremlin took it. Little beast hid it at the bottom of the finished pile.
Yesterday I got a little worried when Bashful didn’t eat his grain, for the second day in a row. I’m still getting used to ‘the llamas’ (yes they are alpacas, but for some reason we always call them llamas.) I contacted SELR (Llama Rescue) for advice.
Bless Debbie for getting right back to me. She told me what to look for and recommended a shot of antibotics in case it was a respertory infection and deworming.
This morning, I offered him some grain, which he nibbled. But he went to the hay bag with real enthusiasm when I put a section of alphalfa hay in it. Bingo! I also watched as he drank deeply.
I checked his eyelids and gums for color. The color was a nice deep pink. His breathing sounded fine. There was a bit of discharge from one eye, but not enough to call unusual.
Just to make sure, I gave him the antibotics. I had a hard time finding skin under all that hair, but I figured it out. Then I let them go outside for a few hours of grazing.
He came in with an appitite! Shoved his little nose into the hay bag and vanished up to his little ears! He still didn’t touch the grain. So, just to be on the safe side, I dewormed both of them.
Grumpy gave me a fight, of course, but it seemed more of a token protest compared to the first time I worked with him. That was a rodeo, let me tell you! He makes a lot of noise, but doesn’t spit on me. It took three tries to get the medicine in his mouth, but I got it done.
I used the least amount of force to get the job done, just like I do with the horses. When a critter doesn’t fight me, I take all the pressure off immediatly as a reward. It works much better than you’d think it would.
I’m going to keep an eye on Bashful. When I left the barn he’d shoved his head back into the hay bag and only his ears were showing. When he came out to breath, he had a mouthful and seemed happy.
I’ll check on him again tomorrow and see how he’s doing, of course.
I was combing through Ravelry’s patterns for my next project.
I even looked for a very simple sweater pattern. (That was really daring of me. I’m still a novice knitter.) Well, sweaters scared me!
So maybe I’ll look at socks next.
Or mittens…mittens look much safer.
I’m such a chicken!
I finally finished renovating Chicken World! You can see the upper and lower nest boxes. The ducks want to be hidden and the chickens want nests high up. There is also a length of plastic pipe for extra roosts. I also doubled the wooden roosting space on the other side. They don’t like plastic in the winter, wood is more comfortable.
The cold weather made the project more difficult and at the same time more neccessary. The hens don’t like to lay in cold nests. They like to get cozy and comfortable. So if the nest box is cold, they’ll find somewhere else to lay eggs. Which means I have to go on an egg hunt.
To date, there has been nothing between the chickens and the metal wall of the building. No insulation means frozen eggs and frost-bitten combs. I was able to get some pallets from my local feed store, and I used those boards to panel the walls of Chicken World.
This didn’t instantly raise the temperature in Chicken World, after all, two sides are still open. It does keep the eggs from freezing. The wood blocks the cold, so the hay can keep the eggs warm. I hope to get a much higher hatch-rate because the eggs won’t freeze.